August 26, 2013

Ludum Dare 27

This week end I participated in Ludum Dare. You basically have to make a game from scratch in 48 hours with no external help, based on a voted theme. This time, the theme was "10 seconds".



To play the game (And vote if you participated in this Ludum Dare):
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-27/?action=preview&uid=7462

The game's basic idea is that you think shopping for groceries is boring, so you gave yourself a challenge: Put the items on your shopping list in random order and picking them up in that order, within 10 seconds each. You have a drifting shopping cart and other customers curse at you when you bump into them. Once your list is done, you have 10 seconds to get to the cash register. Every level increases the list size by two items and also increases the number of customers in the store. Once in a while, you have to shop with the power out.

What I got out of this is the following:
- I hate making interfaces
- I'm a very bad graphical artist
- I can make decent sounding songs in very little time
- I need to show my work to others to stay engaged

My girlfriend encouraged me all weekend and followed the progress of the game very closely. This gave me a lot of motivation and I think made me break the record for the amount of work I've done on a game in that small time frame.

Let's be honest, the graphics suck. I've never been good and it's clearly visible here. That's why I hire a graphics artist for my serious projects.

I've decided to use the lighting engine I've made for my zombie game and it turns out it's really easy to use. It took me about 15 minutes to fully implement it in the game. I really love it. I'll put lighting in all of my games now! On the down side of it, I noticed it doesn't work in HTML5. Looks like blend modes don't actually work in the web export.

That's about it. These are the key points that came out of this competition.

Leave comments about the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment